Thursday, January 1, 2009

Good intentions

They say the road to hell is paved with good intentions. They do not mean much in and of themselves. But they are the starting point for a change, if you are prepared to work hard and are realistic in your expectations.
I like the idea of overviewing what has happened in the past year and what you expect in the next. Every coach or organisational expert will tell you that without a plan for change, you will probably be stuck doing the same thing and making the same mistakes again.

So...what are my 'good intentions' for next year. I try to keep them simple. At the top of the list is my desire to get back to the balance we found for a few weeks before october began and threw us into a series of interchanging flus, colds and holidays, all of which interrupted the only newly established routines. To manage this, I need to catch up on my sleep again and then simply get up early every day. That way, I have time to pray, eat and get started on my work for the day before Joseph is awake. I can greet my little boy with a smile and if we have a more difficult or busy day, at least the basics of household work have been done.

The next thing on my list is to start cooking more healthy food. I really have no excuse not to. I have a husband who is not an adventurous eater, but he certainly is not picking and will unfailingly thank me for every single meal that I make. And I actually LOVE healthy food as well. I only need to remind myself of this when I make me list.

After those big two follow a host of smaller wishes and desires. I want to lay more contacts for public speaking appearances. I want to be more organised. I want to write more cards and letters. I want to do good work as a volunteer at birthright. And I want to learn how to knit socks.

A big wishlist. But if I manage the big two, just a little feathers on my cap from the second list would be more than enough to make me a very happy woman.

1 comment:

asnipofgoodness said...

I love your blog, and I love this post! I love that your goals are simple and attainable, and so practical too! I seek to live my life in 2009 with more intention. Your blog seems to encourage that! Thanks for sharing.