Friday, October 3, 2008

Sewing block (April 19, 2007)

I know what writers block is. I have had it several times in my life. But ever since my first sewing machine made it's experience, I am suffering from sewing block. I don't know where to start. I managed to do a few succesfull stitches on my trial fabric, but I don't seem to be able to get more done.
In the meantime I have visions of fabulous gowns that I will make, and especially the wonderful baptismal favours that I will make for my little baby. As well as clothes and handembroidered sheets of course. Unfortunately the reality is that the sewing machine is staring at me from tthe kitchen table for nearly two weeks now, with the white thread ready, the machine just a connection and pedal push away from producing more of those stitches... and it doesn't happen.

I wish I could blame the sockmonster for this. Or anyone actually. Fact is that that machine is not going to produce gowns, baby clothes or baptismal favours as long as I won't sit behind it and make it start. I've been in a bad procrastination mood these last few weeks, and I should snap out of it. Even my embroidery is suffering. It has taken me nearly a week now to put the pattern of a butterfly on my fabric, put it in the hoop and actually embroider a few stitches. I keep being discontent at the result and pull out stitches again and again. Perseverence, that is what's lacking. But I will get better. Before the baby is born. In five months that is. Preferably today. I hope.
Can I just add here that my husband should be nominated for sainthood because he has not said anything about he embroidery project taking up the sofa and the sewing machine standing on the kitchentable? I love him so much... no wonder I made the big move over the puddle. Men like that are rare!!

No comments: