Sunday, January 3, 2010

New Year's goals..

After a horrible headcold that lasted more than six weeks, I am somewhat back to blogging. Almost eight months pregnant now, but for some reason I am not yet feeling impatient. Maybe because this cold has kept me so behind on everything. The holidays here were really simple and relaxed by necessity, but we still had a wonderful time. Plans kept changing every few days, also out of necessity, because my wonderful in laws were experiencing some trouble that kept them from traveling. Hopefully though that will all be behind us soon and then we will see them in a few weeks. I can't wait. Am I not blessed, ladies, to not only have a wonderful mother, a wonderful husband but also wonderful in laws?

I've been trying to keep up with blogs somewhat, but have not been able to check daily as I usually do. That's why this little new year's gem from the delighted life, only came to my attention now. I think it a wonderfully balanced post of daily life and good intentions. Last year, I blogged about the new year and my intentions as well, here. I even wrote an article for our Ladies' group about the value of good intentions. Rereading that short editorial for our newspaper makes me think it might fit this blog, so plagiarizing my own work, I give you last year's reflections:

A new year always feels like a brand new slate. I used to love to watch the movies about Anne of Green Gables, and especially the quote. “Every day is a new beginning. With no mistakes in it. Yet.” A lot of people become jaded over the years and stop making good intentions at new years because they 'do not stick'. It's sad though, because if we only attempted things that would surely work out, we could better give up on this whole Christianity thing anyhow. Each day we strive to become more like Our Lord. To be a woman like His Blessed Mother. And, while I keep trying, I am pretty sure that at the end of my life, I will still be falling short. That does not mean that my attempts do not count, or that they do not help me improve myself. I may not have the spirit of sacrifice of Our Lord, but I might offer my husband that I will go to the store alone and let him stay in and watch TV. I may not have the meekness of Mother Mary, but I may learn to bite my tongue before a sharp word falls from it more than once. Of course I will fail now and again, and will go back to more selfish behavior, but then it is time to aim my eyes right back on the cross, look to My Best Example, and return to work.
So, let us try to make more time for prayer, be more healthy, keep a cleaner house, be kinder, be more organized, and get more done. When we do not reach the goal, we will probably be closer to it than before we started trying. And as sisters in Christ, we will be there to support each other, and always, always point to the One who is there, as the only One who has reached perfection.

No comments: