Thursday, February 5, 2009

Joseph's vocabulary


Inspired by our doctors visit I sat down an tried to remember which words I heard Joseph use frequently. Within twenty minutes or so, my husband and I reached the following list and I thought it would be nice to have a memory later of Joseph's vocabulary at 16 months old. New words seem to be added almost daily.

mama
dada
Nijn (a Dutch book character)
wah (waffle)
nana (banana)
Jee (Jesus)
ho (hot)
keey (key)
Ki-y (kitty)
woef woef (dog)
wroar (lion)
duh (duck)
bah (bath)
co y (cookie)
Boh (block)
hi
c'rrr' acke (cracker)
Bye Bye
booh (book)
ouh (out)
buh (outside, from the Dutch buiten, though sometimes he uses ouh. Buh is also used for button)
teeh (teeth)
Mmmma (Oma)
Meh (drink, from the Dutch melk, milk)
Beh (bear)
baaaaah (for the sheep)
boo (for the cow)
Uh-Oh (if something falls or spills)

There are probably a few others that are escaping me at the moment. There are also a lot of words that he recognises but does not say yet. If you ask him to bring you his shoes or his socks, he will do so. And there are several more words that I have heard him say once or twice but that I don't hear consistent enough to consider them part of his vocabulary.
But some words I am particularly proud of. Like 'Jee' (hurray for lots of Jesus in our daily lives) and 'booh' (hurray for reading 10 to 20 books a day). To my utter surprise, he does not say 'no' yet... but I doubt I will have to wait long.

No comments: