Friday, October 24, 2008

Hospitality, the oldfashioned way

That's the reason why I have not blogged for almost a week. My best friend and her mother have travelled all the way from Europe to be here for a week and play with my cute little man. Of course I can hardly spend my time at the computer with such company. The food is simple, but the conversations are fun.




We have been playing scrable most evenings. Last night my husband wasn't feeling well and went to bed early, and Maria's mother retired early as well. There we were, just the two of us at the kitchen table, playing scrabble. I had my knitting in hand to make sure no minute of deep thinking time was wasted. I realised that if we had changed electric light for a lamp, we could have made up a scene out of the previous century. Maybe scrabble didn't exist then, but probably something similar.




Despite very good scores all previous evenings, it just didn't want to work. Last night there were three five letter words and that was it. The rest were four letters and under. When it was time to go to bed, we decided to have a little more fun and make some 'interesting' though non existing words. I remember that we decided that an 'iwry' had to be a South Australian bird with striped eggs.... I do not remember what a 'vansy' was, but I am certain it was equally ridiculous.
Maria's mother had a look at the scrabble board that we had left out this morning and wanted to know what an "iwry' was. We told her about the South Australian bird.
Sometimes having fun can be so simple

No comments: