Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Romance: take every day, before or after breakfast


Maybe I will keep romance as my theme for the week. After the high of Valentines day, there might be a slump in attention and I am a great admirer of romance. True romance that is. Now I don't have anything against roses, in fact I love them. Nor do I mind chocolates. I'm from Belgium. Just bring me the good stuff!
Too often we discourage girls to believe in romance because 'it's just movie invented hallmark induced fake stuff that has nothing to do with real life'. Not true. I experienced true romance this morning.




It was raining and on my way to dropping my husband off to work, I needed to get gas. I had been pretty grumpy during the morning since my usual routine was disturbed by getting Joseph out of bed half an hour earlier. I am still a novice driver and probably was not driving my best. I guess something in the set of my mouth told my wonderful husband that I was not in the best of moods. And as I pulled up at the gas station, knowing how much it rained, he simply offered: "Shall I do it?"
To me this is the modern day equivalent of someone spreading his coat out over a puddle. Only it is eminently more romantic since I won't need to wash a sodden, muddy coat. True romance is quietly offering to go out through the rain to fill up the tank so your wife doesn't have to. It doesn't come more simple or more sweet than that.

1 comment:

Wendy said...

Hi Eva (I assume your name is Eva -- I just realized I don't really know!) :), I just wanted to thank you so much for your kind words of affirmation on my blog. I can tell you are a kindred spirit on many topics! I'm so glad we were able to connect and read each other's blogs. It's such an encouragement to know that other Christian women are having the same experiences. Take care!